A Step by Step Guide to Adding Pages to Your Custom Portfolio Book Using Hinge Strips
We get asked all the time, how do I add pages to my custom screwpost portfolio book? We’ve talked about the different methods of inserting pages in another post although we’re going to get up close and personal with our favorite method, hinge strips. You can purchase these along with your custom portfolio and prints in the add-ons section when you build your own custom portfolio.
Hinge strips are clear strips with an adhesive edge which once applied to your page, allow you to easily add your prints to your portfolio book without worrying about creating an extra gutter on your prints and punching holes. You can also use sheet protectors to add your pages although we’re going to focus on the hinge strip method for this post.
Follow along as we show you a step by step guide on how to first add hinge stripsto your pages, add the pages to your screwpost portfolio book, and what it all looks like when it’s done.
Side note: This custom portfolio book includes a UV Print & Cure treatment on the inside covers which is available for an additional $50.
What you’ll need:
- Your portfolio book
- Hinge strips
- A cutting mat
- Your prints
1. Peel the white area off of the hinge strip to reveal the adhesive
2. Use the cutting mat to line up your hinge strip and ensure your page are applied straight.
3. Apply your print to your hinge strip starting from the top left corner and slowly move down until your entire page is on the hinge strip. We recommend applying the hinge strip to the back of your printed page.
Take your time with this step and ensure your pages are adhered to the hinge strip in a straight manner. Once the hinge strips makes contact with your page, you won’t be able to take it off since it bonds quickly.
4. Voila! This is what your page will look like once your hinge strip is adhered on to it.
5. Time to add your pages to your custom Klo Portfolio book! Gently unscrew the right side of the screwpost on the inside, leaving the left part of the left part of the screw or the post intact within the hinge.
Don’t use any tools as the screwposts may get stuck if handled with a screwdriver or too much pressure.
6. The front and back cover of your screwpost portfolio book are now apart and the hinge of your left cover has been pressed down so it’s lying flat with the post exposed. Add your pages on top by lining them up with the screwposts.
7. Continue until all of your sexy prints have been added!
8. Take the back cover and place its hinge on top of the posts from the front cover of your portfolio book. If you have a lot of pages, apply some pressure to create space between the tip of the post and the surface of the hinge so you can easily insert your screw in to the post.
9. You’re almost there! Tighten the screw in to the post and you’re done!
This is what your pages will look like once everything has been added to your screwpost portfolio book.
Because most of the hinge strip is hidden within the binding of your book, it’s a clean and subtle addition to your pages and won’t be intrusive to the eye which is why we love hinge strips.
Bam! Now you’re ready to rock and roll and crush your portfolio show, interview, or that client you’ve been after.